Friday, May 15, 2015

Routine Procedure

This week is going to be something different. Instead of talking about current events or creating some social commentary on a relevant topic, I decided to just write some fiction. 

In one of my circles, there is a weekly writing exercise/challenge that I like to participate in. Some inspire me more than others, and I was particularly pleased with how this one came out. So, this recently was done as a writing exercise.

The rules were pretty simple actually. Sometimes there are more rules and guidelines, but this week’s were pretty flexible.

A) Be inspired by the picture below.
B) Make sure the piece  is 600 words or less.

Enjoy!

Read.
Comment.
Share.
Follow.

Thanks.

D


Routine Procedure

It had been two years since it had become visible. A speck. It was merely a speck on the horizon in the night the sky, a glowing sphere that gave a glimpse of something larger than ourselves. Things have changed quite a bit since then though.

As I lifted my wine glass to my mouth, I looked up into the sky and gazed at it once more. The planet seemed to take up the entire sky, and it appeared roughly twice as large as the moon. It hadn't moved in three months, and the hysteria surrounding its appearance had turned into a sense of wonderment mixed with acceptance. I mean, it isn't every day that a planet of the same size, mass and atmosphere just appears and then begins orbiting. It really hadn't affected our gravity or climate as initially feared. “Experts” said that was because the planet was virtually identical to our own. It didn't add up in my mind, but when important people say things on the TV, you tend to just accept them. Well, I do at least.

The entire situation reminded me of a movie I saw once. I really can’t remember the name of it, but it was about a mirror planet that appeared, but scientists suspected that there were actual doppelgangers of the inhabitants on each planet. What was the name of that movie? Wait – what movie?

My phone rang while I was daydreaming, drinking wine and staring at the planet. I didn't even hear it, but I noticed when my voicemail chimed. It was the call that I was expecting. Maybe I didn't want to hear it. It was all moving so fast, and I really just wanted to be left alone. Why bother calling back, I knew where I was going.

It took about twenty minutes to get to the facility. The guards saw my face and recognized me instantly, so they waved me in. The building was surrounded by armed soldiers. It struck me funny that I was literally just walking up to the front door with how tight the security was for this place. I could feel my heart rate quicken as I entered the building.

I sat down and the interview began. Before he spoke, one of his assistants came from behind me and pushed a shiny device onto my neck to make it click. The pinch took me by surprise even though I was expecting it. Funny how things like that work. You know what something is going to feel like, but you still jump when it happens. Well, I do at least.

“As mentioned in our initial conversation, The pinch you just felt was the insertion of a microscopic device that will test aspects of your blood to determine any variables. Let’s begin the interview. 

"So, how do you feel?”

“Fine. How do you feel?”

“Please, stay on topic. How would you consider your health?”

“Good, thanks. I feel good man.”

“How long have you felt, good.”

“Wait, what? Uh – forever. I feel fine, man.” 

I was taken back by where this was going. It felt like there was a stirring inside. What had they injected into my body?

“Who are you?”

“You know my name. Hansen, Will Hansen.”

“How did you get here?”

“I drove. You saw me drive up in my car.”

“How long have you been here?”

“What…Like ten or fifteen minutes. What?”

“Why did you come to this planet?”

“This is my planet.” 
I looked around, and a growing sense of unease surrounded me. 

This was my planet. Wasn't it?

5 comments:

  1. Dude, you need to finish this. You hot me hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was feeling the same way after I had finished this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool intro... can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete